Alta Avenue Progress (or lack there of)

Progress is one of my favorite words.  Unfortunately, there hasn't been a ton of it at Alta. 

flipping homes_alt ave

This was a photo of the basement several weeks ago.  It still pretty much looks like this. 

One of my main reasons for sharing on this blog is to offer not only the good, but also the bad and even ugly parts of rehabbing homes.  Alta Avenue is only my second flip and no matter how much I learned from my first project, I don't think I'll ever be done learning when it comes to flipping homes.  I was hoping in this post to have some photos of the progress we've made in the last two weeks since passing all of the mechanical inspections, but that's not the case due to some small issues (namely insulation and electrical) that have come up in the meantime.  Luckily, we've got it all figured out and we are moving forward again.  It's so important to keep a positive attitude and roll with the punches with projects like these because there are so many things that are out of your control when gutting a home and starting from scratch.  

I'm not sure if I've shared this on the blog, but when starting the Alta Ave project I decided to be my own General Contractor(GC) with the help of a trusted consultant.  I thought this would allow me more control of the project while also helping me to save a few dollars.  Although those two things are true, I wouldn't choose to GC my next project.  Maybe again in the future when I'm a little more seasoned, but not anytime soon.  I tend to have a very "can do" attitude and always feel like I can tackle any project, so it pains me to say that I think I am in a bit over my head on this one, but I can't say it's a bad thing because I have learned SO much.

Here is where I remind myself of something my mentor has taught me along the way.  In his words, "If you take 10 projects and average them out you're going to have two that you blow out of the water, five or six that you'll do about average on, and two where you either break even or lose money and you never know which projects those are going to be."  Although I still feel this is going to be a profitable flip, we're behind schedule by at least 4 weeks, and that's enough to put anyone in a crappy mood.  So, now that I've gotten that off my chest, it's time to get up and brush my shoulders off, push forward, and get this project done.  The biggest positive right now is that it's time for getting all the finishes in order and we'll really start to see progress from here. Stay tuned in the next few weeks for some pics of the finish work.  And on a positive note to finish up here...

flipping houses_deck

We have a new deck!